Nominations in the prescribed format are invited from all parts of our country, with the help of administrators, legislators, bureaucrats, educationists, media , social workers and parliamentarians. Letters are mailed to them for the purpose. Advertisements are also published in newspapers inviting nominations. Nominations are received every year from almost all States in the country. The nominations are shortlisted by a Short listing committee consisting of the following members
- Shri Kailasmull Dugar, former President of Rajasthani Association, Tamil Nadu
- Shri D K Oza, IAS (retd.)
- Shri P Shankar, IAS (retd.)
- Shri Naresh Gupta, IAS (retd.)
- Shri Shri Chinni Krishna, Board member, Federation of Indian Animal Protection Organisation (FIAPO)
- Dr. T Surendran, Director - Paediatric Ophthalmology, Sankara Nethralaya
- Shri Sugalchand Jain –Trustee
- Shri Vinodh Kumar- Trustee
- Shri P V Krishnamurthy IA & AS (Retd.)- Hony. Executive Trustee
- Shri K Nanda Kishore, IAS (Retd.), Advisor
The representatives of the Foundation visit the places of service to obtain the first hand information, to examine details of the service rendered, to ascertain the overall genuineness and the positive impact their services have amongst the people they serve.
The detailed report is then placed before the Selection Jury, who evaluate and decide the awardees. The selection jury is headed by Justice Shri M. N. Venkatachaliah, Former Chief Justice of India.
The awards are conferred to the awardees in a formal function and presented by eminent personalities like the President of India, the Vice-president of India, the Governors, the Chief Misnisters, Ministers etc.