The award is given to inspire women who demonstrate vision, resilience and role model leadership, setting an example for others, and who participate in all spheres and issues related to women, to do selfless service to the needy and poor and to follow Indian values.
This category would be for a woman
- Who promotes Indian values and traditions like care for the society and family, respect for the elders and other similar values.
- Who has helped to uplift the society
- Who improves the quality of life of the many
- Who has excelled in any non commercial field
- Who has been a role model in public life in the society as well as to the family.
The activities of the nominee may include:
- Working at the grassroots and contributing significantly by taking measures to eradicate illiteracy, provide vocational training, rehabilitation of women and children etc.
- Free or low cost medical care facilities for women and children, pre-natal and post-natal care, education for improved health and hygiene, better nutrition for children.
- Rehabilitation of children working in slums.
- Free or low cost legal aid to women, creating general awareness among women about their rights and the laws pertaining thereto.
- Bringing reforms for enhancing the social status of women.
- Care, education and rehabilitation of the mentally and physically challenged children.
- Working for the upliftment of mentally and physically abused, neglected, deserted, exploited women and widows, especially from rural and tribal areas.
- Working for the uncared, discarded, destitute and exploited children, including orphans, especially from rural areas.
- Contributing in establishment of Micro Enterprise, women self help groups, etc in rural and tribal areas.
- Adopts unique approach/idea to address a critical problem
To recognize and express our gratitude, the Awards honour the services of such persons with a cash award of Rs.10 lakhs, a citation and a memento.
This award would be given from 22nd Mahaveer Awards onwards.